Sunday, March 11, 2012

Consiatncy pays off :)


Wow another overall win yesterday has completely blown me away and I just had to share my little journey this time…

After the last comp in October I actually had no intention of competing this march. I had taken on a new role at work with Muscle Worx not to mention still fitting in clients and I knew I ha a lot to still work on in terms of my physique. After the world championships in Serbia I really saw I wasn’t quite up to scratch to match up to the international girls which gave me the extra drive I needed to take training to the next level.

The plan was to spend the next 6 months training hard so I could improve on the things I needed while focusing on life in general as well. So for the first time I didn’t have an “off” season it was more of an “improvement” season. I had a new training program in place that was structured with a specific eating plan to help me build some muscle. Well in this case I had prepared myself to put on a few extra kilos as my calories were a lot higher but still structured.
Over the next 6 weeks I really started to see some great changes.. and believe me I was working my butt off (well in this case trying to work it on!) day in day out while still working full time and trying to really perform in my new role at Muscle Worx. I was loving the extra food and my weekends off from training and still had no intention of competing as I just wanted to keep seeing the changes come.

It wasn’t until about 5 weeks out from the comp date that I was talked into getting my measurements done and to my surprise I was a lot leaner than I thought!! At this stage I thought I would just amp things up a bit and see where my progress could take me and only compete if I reached the comp condition I was happy with. I kept up the consistent training and new lower calorie diet. It was about 3 weeks later that I really saw the benefits of my “improvement” season. The leaner I got the more I could see how my body shape had really changed and by comp day I was more stoaked with my progress that winning just became the icing on the cake!

A lot of girls/competitors (including me in the past) will tend to just stop training or let the diet go after a comp. But at the end of the day there is no off season if you really want the best results possible! It really does become a lifestyle adjustment. You should always be “on” to an extent. Of course we need to live life and enjoy those little moments as well but just make sure you make the right choices at the right times and maintain that balance so you remain fit and healthy always an avoid those “blow outs” because they are not fun and very hard to bounce back from!
Make sure you keep challenging yourself so that every time you step onto the stage you have improved from the last time.  I think that is the biggest challenge and achievement of all!

On that note im off to bed to kick off training first thing tomorrow! Hope this made sense! Haha

Keep working hard and take it to the next level!

Love Nini

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nini, congrats on your win. You are so true with staying on track with your diet after a comp. I had a trainer for my first comp who was not in the same state as me, and did not tell me about diet rebounds and did not give me any direction with what to do when I finished. I flew out to Phuket the day after the comp for 2 weeks, ate and drank whatever, came back soooo bloated and my cheat week turned into a cheat month etc then I went to Europe, had a baby yada yada yada lol

    Definately something to learn by :)

    Loving the blog x

    ReplyDelete